Thursday, February 2, 2012

University of Jordan

I made it through the first week of classes....barely.  Of course I was sick the whole week which made the week drag by even more, but thankfully the week is over and I'm feeling much more like myself, which means, if you have ever lived with me (Whitney, Katie, Courtney this is especially for you) I'm just always tired haha

My arabic classes will be different and perhaps more difficult compared to the states, just because they're ONLY in arabic, english isn't allowed to be spoken, we got away with some this first week, but not a whole lot.  It will be an adjustment, but a good one, because it will force me to pay attention and stay focused more, which means that I really shouldn't sit by the window anymore...lol

My professors are great, perfect mixture of seriousness and fun, and they love my name, they always get excited because they say it's an arabic name, and I just smile and nod and say that it is also a biblical name, which is where my mother got the name.

I've only had my two arabic classes, because my archaeology and literature courses don't meet till next week, but I'm so looking forward to my archaeology class.  I plan to drop my literature course because I just received news that I got the internship I applied for at the American Center of Oriental Research.  I think it will be a lot like my old job at the archaeology lab in La Crosse, but I'll get to work alongside an archaeologist who is currently doing work in Petra, The Temple of the Winged Lions.  Words can't describe how ecstatic I am about this, I'm just thanking and praising God for such a wonderful opportunity and praying that I can perform my job well!

Further, I just applied for an ESL teaching position on campus, because I need a paying job desperately, and this would be a perfect fit.  It would take a lot of time out of my schedule, but I'm putting my schedule in God's hands and praying that it will all fit, while still allowing for free time to travel, etc.

In other random news, the weather here is so strange, and I say that after living in Wisconsin for my whole life.  Yesterday it was down pouring, then it would be bright and sunny for a half hour, then back to cloudy and rainy, later it would randomly snow for ten minutes, then back to rain.  So confusing, and so frustrating to walk to class in, especially when you didn't prepare for such freezing conditions.  I'm really wishing I had my rain boots, as some roads I've seen and had to trudge through have literally become rivers.  Oh well, just means more warm drinks like delicious teas and hot chocolate!  Basically, it's always an adventure here in Amman, and of course, I absolutely love it!

Oh, and I'm still being fed a ridiculous amount by my host mother, and "dinner" that they prefer to call lunch apparently, is served whenever I come home, whether that's 230 or 530, so I've been trying to come home later rather than earlier for this reason haha

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see that you are a fast adapting creature! Keep it up girl! Thou art awesummm :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Young I just saw that you commented on this...yes adaption is key here and I'm doing my best!

    ReplyDelete